William D. Gillis, Jr.
William D. Gillis, Jr., Partner in the Professional Practices Group at Donovan Hatem, has over 30 years of civil litigation experience. He represents clients in professional liability, environmental, commercial and construction litigation. Bill manages the defense of design professionals on a national basis and handles mediations, arbitrations, and trials for architects and engineers. Bill, formerly with Cooley, Manion, Moore & Jones and the Managing Partner at Massery & Gillis, began his legal career as a Captain in the U.S. Army JAG, 8th Infantry Division, Germany, where he performed trial counsel, administrative law and legal assistance duties. He prosecuted criminal trials and performed a variety of estate and family law work for service members and their dependents stationed overseas.
Admitted to Practice
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States District Court for the District of Vermont
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- Suffolk University Law School(J.D., 1984)
- Muskingum College (B.A., 1976, cum laude)
Business and Professional Associations
- Massachusetts Bar Association
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, “Good Neighbor Practices,” Donovan Hatem Design Professional Roundtable. (May 2017)
- Co-Author, Sellers Can Transfer Environmental Liability, 25 Mass. L.W. 1591, (1997)
- One Wheeler Road Associates v. Foxboro Co., 843 F.Supp. 792 C.D.Mass.(1994)
- Buss v. McElhiney, 43 Mass. App. Ct.1108 (1997)
- Utica Mutual Ins. Co. v. Weathermark Investments, Inc.; 292 F. 3d 77 (1st Cir. 2002)
Reaching the height of professional excellence, Bill has received an AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.