Sue E. Yoakum
Sue E. Yoakum, Of Counsel to Donovan Hatem LLP, is an attorney and licensed architect with approximately 30 years of domestic and international experience in design and construction. She focuses her practice assisting design professionals by providing claims and risk management assistance, contract reviews, and other related legal services. Sue frequently presents risk management seminars and has spoken at several national conferences, including; ACEC, DBIA, IRMI, and ABA Construction Forum.
She frequently authors articles and has contributed to following books; Megaprojects: Challenges and Recommended Practices, published August 2010 by American Council of Engineering Companies and has authored a chapter in the AIA’s 15th edition of The Architect’s Handbook of Professional Practice. She is a liaison to the AIA Documents Committee. She is a member of the Jefferson Society.
Prior to pursuing her legal career, Sue practiced architecture for a decade with a focus on sport projects.
Admitted to Practice
- University of Missouri,Kansas City (J.D., with honors)
- “AmJured Award” recipient in Construction Law
- Staff writer for The Urban Lawyer
- Kansas State University (Bachelor of Architecture, with honors)
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Author, “Building Information Modeling and Risk Management.” ACEC/MA Insights (June 2016)
- Author, “Is Perfection Possible? Managing Uncertainty and Expectations in Building Design and Construction.” Design & Construction Management Professional Reporter (May 2015)
- Contributing Author, Chapter 4: “Architect-Engineer Contracting,” Federal Government Construction Contracts, Editors: Adrian L. Bastianelli III, Andrew D. Ness, Joseph D. West, published by American Bar Association, (2010)
- Missouri Bar’s statewide meeting (1995) – Presented American with Disabilities Act: Legal concerns for Architects
- Kansas University and Kansas State University (1995-1996) – Presented legal liability seminars to the students regarding the Practice of Architecture
- Design Build Institute of America’s National Convention (2001) – Presented design build liabilities from Architect’s perspective for Gillette Stadium
- 25th IRMI Construction Risk Conference – Presented “Design-Build Risk & Professional Liability Insurance: A Disconnect.” (2005)
- Sue’s selected international project list includes:
- New Wembley Stadium (London, England)
- Millennium Dome (London, England)
- Algarve Stadium (Faro, Portugal)
- Benfica Stadium (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Suncorp Stadium (Queensland, Brisbane, Australia)
- Her selected United States project list includes:
- Gillette Stadium
- Arizona Cardinals Stadium
- Surprise Recreation Campus
- Great American Ballpark
- Louis Cardinals Baseball Stadium
- In addition, she has served as General Counsel for a real estate development company located in Prague, Czech Republic, where she was responsible for a multi-national legal department.
- Member of the Jefferson Society