Jon C. Cowen
Jon C. Cowen is a partner in the firm’s Professional Practices, Business Litigation and Insurance and Tort Litigation groups. He represents businesses and individuals facing a wide variety of matters involving breach of contract, duty of care, intra-corporate disputes and real estate-related matters. Jon has extensive experience in defending professional liability claims. He is also regularly called upon to provide advice on complex insurance coverage questions. Jon previously worked as in-house counsel at a large, privately held company located outside of Boston.
Jon’s aim is to help clients meet their personal, professional and business goals in a practical and cost-effective manner. Jon takes a common sense approach to dispute resolution, always keeping the client’s best interests in mind. When in court, Jon will forcefully advocate for his client’s rights. In addition to his significant courtroom experience, Jon is a skilled negotiator and regularly represents clients in mediation. His trial experience includes numerous appearances in the Massachusetts Appeals Courts. Jon has represented clients in jurisdictions across the country, including New York, California, Florida, Delaware and Nevada.
Prior to joining Donovan Hatem, Jon was a Partner at another Boston-based law firm.
Admitted to Practice
- New Hampshire
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Cornell Law School (J.D., 1988)
- Dartmouth College (B.A., 1983)
Business and Professional Associations
- Boston Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association (Insurance Law Section)
- Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce of New England
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, President’s Award, Boston Bar Association, for pro bono work in connection with the Boston Marathon bombing
- Martindale Hubbell 5-star rating
- Member, Board of Trustees, The Carroll Center for the Blind, Newton, MA
- Jon speaks Swedish fluently and is active in the international business community
- In his free time, Jon enjoys biking, running, swimming, skiing and hiking