Working at Donovan Hatem
The attorneys and professional staff at Donovan Hatem work collaboratively in an entrepreneurial atmosphere to resolve complex matters, both small and large. We recognize that our employees are our most valuable asset, which is why we work to maintain our collegial environment where attorneys and staff members are approachable and work together to serve our clients.
At Donovan Hatem, our clients are design and construction industry professionals, public and private companies, nonprofit organizations, government entities and individuals. Attorneys at Donovan Hatem take pride in providing focused advice and counsel to minimize risk and exposure for our clients.
Whether you’re just beginning your legal career or you’re an experienced attorney looking for an environment that fosters intellectual curiosity, teamwork, and professional growth, we invite you to learn more about us. We welcome inquiries from those interested in learning more about Donovan Hatem LLP. For additional information regarding opportunities in our Firm, please contact:
We have an opportunity for an experienced attorney to join the Litigation practice. In this role, you will evaluate, manage and monitor significant and complex claims on a national basis and engage in risk management of potential claims, develop litigation and resolution strategies, manage counsel, all experts and collaborate with multiple entities. You will also develop liability exposure for insureds, managing all aspects of litigation including attendance at mediations, arbitrations and trials. Periodic travel may be required. Candidate should have 5-7 years’ litigation experience, preferably with design and construction professionals.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter, including salary requirements to Christene Hennessey,Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attorney Professional Development
Understanding that superior service to clients begins and ends with highly skilled attorneys, Donovan Hatem is committed to training and development. We believe it is essential to offer best-in-practice training and mentoring to our associates to ensure we provide the highest quality legal services to our clients.
The firm has developed and implemented practice skills and substantive knowledge training programs, as well as a mentoring program aimed at addressing associate professional needs. The goals of the professional development and mentoring programs include continuous improvement of each of our associate’s skills as litigators, counselors, and advocates.
Our formal training programs and professional development initiatives focus on three key elements: education, mentorship, and practical real-world experience. First, we train our associates on specific practice skills and substantive knowledge. Second, we seek out opportunities for associates to observe and learn these skills from our senior attorneys and partners. And third, we provide opportunities for each associate to develop these skills and knowledge through actual practice.
Attorney Mentorship Program
Donovan Hatem’s associate mentoring program focuses on integrating new associates into the firm and their individual practice. Each new associate is assigned a partner mentor responsible for welcoming the new lawyer to the firm, providing guidance on firm policies and procedures, training the associate on firm best practices, coaching with feedback and performance monitoring, and teaching the necessary skills and practice knowledge for continued success.
Comprehensive Benefits Package Including:
• Health and dental insurance
• Life and AD&D insurance
• Short-term and long-term disability insurance
• 401(k) and Profit Sharing Plan
• Pretax Flexible Spending Accounts: medical and dependent care
• Pretax Commuter Benefit Plan: parking and transit
• Four weeks vacation annually
• Professional development program
• Mentoring program
• Paid bar dues
• Paid associate membership
Donovan Hatem employs a diverse range of professionals. We are always looking for motivated, talented and ambitious individuals to join our team.
We have an opening for an experienced Billing Manager to join our team to manage the day-to-day operations of the Firm’s billing processes. This hands-on individual will be responsible for overseeing the billing and collection process, including preparing and following up on invoices and statements, ensuring compliance with client billing guidelines and requirements, and managing collection efforts. We have an opening for an experienced Billing Manager to join our team to manage the day-to-day operations of the Firm’s billing processes. This hands-on individual will be responsible for overseeing the billing and collection process, including preparing and following up on invoices and statements, ensuring compliance with client billing guidelines and requirements, and managing collection efforts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and supervise the billing function and the billing team
- Manage and participate in the preparation and execution of client billing and statements
- Ensure the firm’s billing complies with client-specific budgets, guidelines and requirements
- Primarily responsible for the full billing cycle for specific clients, generally those with very complex billing requirements (i.e., joint defense agreements, multi-client allocations, closure of cases, etc.)
- Review and approve write-offs, ensuring compliance with firm policy; prepares appeals as needed
- Oversee client and matter set-up, file opening, rate setting and conflict checks
- Continually maintain client profiles; update billing, insurance and financial information
- Manage and participate in collection efforts; serve as client contact on collections
- Monitor WIP and accounts receivable aging
- Respond to billing inquiries; timely research and resolve issues
- Interact and communicate with clients an attorneys frequently
- Maintain and provide client financial information as requested
- Participate in orientation for new hires; review billing procedure and time entry requirements
- Manage the time entry system as it relates to billing
- Develop and oversee billing procedures for the firm; identify issues and recommend solutions
- Support existing Billing Team in day to day activities and provide guidance
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite (with an emphasis on Excel)
- Strong management skills; ability to manage multiple direct reports
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks and/or problems simultaneously
- Ability to execute complex bills in a timely manner
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively communicate with attorneys, clients and support staff
- Able to work well in a demanding and fast paced environment
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting or Finance preferred or the equivalent combination of education and professional experience in a law firm.
- 7-10 years of billing experience in a law firm
- Paralegal certificate/experience desirable
- Experience with law firm e-billing process and procedures
Interested candidates should send their resume to Christene Hennessey, Human Resources via e-mail to email@example.com.
Summer Law Clerk Program
Law clerks with Donovan Hatem will spend the majority of their time working with partners and associates in the firm’s Boston office on litigation matters involving design professionals. Clerks perform a myriad of tasks such as conducting legal research, preparing memoranda and drafting motions. If you are interested in applying for a summer law clerk position, please email a resume and writing sample to Christene Hennessey via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30th. The firm will review all applications by the end of November and will contact those students that the firm would like to interview.